Our Educational Goals
Stehekin School’s Education Goals
When education is conducted congruent with the physiological and psychological requirements of the developing child, intellectual, artistic, physical, and social growth will occur. With this fact in mind, the goals of Stehekin School’s curriculum are established to:
- meet each student with a dynamic curriculum that actively promotes intellectual, artistic, physical and social growth;
- integrate all educational disciplines throughout the curriculum;
- involve children in practical activities calling for intense concentration while building intellectual stamina;
- bring community members into contact with students to share a variety of skills;
- seek beauty in all school work – we do less, more carefully, more fully;
- actively engage children in listening, speaking and “doing” activities throughout the course of each school day;
- inspire children to be curious, creative and confident; and
- encourage students to become life-long learners.
Community Involvement – the following might assist with the classroom aide and helpers menu item:
Each semester community members visit school to share knowledge and skills with the class. Advantages associated with this contact are twofold: First, students gain from practical lessons presented by community members. Second, community members gain first-hand knowledge of the reality of teaching students in the one-room school setting. The curriculum objectives in one room school are supported by “classroom helpers” who offer classroom assistance throughout the curriculum.